Thursday 25 July 2013

(Taru) Dark Knight Rises?

I was playing a match last week as DRK (mithra) against Forcecia's taru DRK, and he was landing some good damage nukes.  I usually keep a keen eye on updates, but this totally caught me off guard.
I thought about how awesome BLM was going to be, but never thought about it in terms of dark knight.  Immediately I got excited and started thinking about builds.  This is the update.

I used to play taru DRK/RDM quite a bit.  Probably more often than any other job combo.  It's exciting.  High enmity job with a shat load of enfeebling power.

So that damage is coming from a non-int build taru with no MAB trait (sam subjob).  From the information on the update page, it seems like dINT is going to play a much bigger part now.  Fire II used to scale up by 1 damage per 1 dINT, and now it's approx double that (assuming it's linear).

I used to rock a serious ranged acc build for taru dark knight, and what I wanted to do was combine them into one as a sort of half-ranger half-black mage...

I've since tried it out in OMs and it's quite powerful.  The gearset is basically ranged acc with INT where I can't get much racc.

Dagger/Staff/Shield     Leo+1  with bolts
Beak helm (racc+4)     Merman gorget      Moldavite earring     Intruder earring
Nuevo(racc+7atk+7)    I.M hands              Marksman ring         Genius ring+1/Scorpion+1
Behe mantle(racc+1)    Precise belt           DRK AF1(int+3)      I.M boots

I swap between using Chatoyant (prehyper, not targetted), Terra's (targetted), and Merc kris/shield (BW is up).  With Chatoyant and this build as DRK/RDM, ~350 Fire2 are possible.  So yeah, no scythe.  Just elemental magic and bloody bolt spam, with merc kris SEBW mixed in when I get freedom to quarry.

Liberal nuking will drain MP pretty quick so it's important to use those bloody bolts as damage over time while you wait for your chance to blitz someone down with nukes.

When I get a chance to play this in diorama, I'll post again with some SAM sj results.  I'll still be rocking the exact same build.  Desu doesn't even have scythe merits.. or STR merits for that matter!  He does have staff merits though.. meditate>heavy swing?






No comments:

Post a Comment